Tuesday, January 4, 2011

That day

                                                                          

I didn't know that when they placed her into my arms 18 years ago, that it would hurt this bad. No one prepared me to feel like I was being stabbed in the heart.  I couldn't stall any longer.  I put the last suitcase in the trunk.  She looked at me with tears in her eyes.  There were so many words that we needed to say but she wanted to be on time for her first day of college.  She hugged me quickly and got in.  As I turned to go inside she yelled, "Mom, I love you". I wept.



Bloggers note: This is my 100 word entry for http://velvetverbosity.com/. This weeks word is stabbed.

7 comments:

  1. ...and then they get married and move out for good. ***Deep sigh***

    Both my children went to school here in town and lived at home. Precious time bought with that move!

    This is very good...very moving. You used "stabbed" most effectively!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there. I was a hot mess when I left my daughter at her dorm room. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent had to deal with this event yet. To say I'm dreading it would be an understatement. I'm sure the proudness I will feel will override most of the pain.
    Thanks Ladies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there three times. It always feels the same. Well done with the story, though. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written. Never been there and probably never will, but I get great insight into the mother's feelings in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well caught emotions. I remember my girls moving on with their lives. But, now I have 7 gorgemous grandkiddos to love, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not far at all from this scenario. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete